Philippe Lamesch was born and raised in Esch/Alzette, Luxembourg. He did his undergraduate degree in Namur, Belgium and moved to the United States in 2001 to pursue his graduate work in molecular biology. During his years in Boston Philippe got acquainted with the medium of printmaking and under the guidance of his teacher and mentor Catherine Kernan he developed a particular interest in copper etching and monoprinting.
After moving to California, Philippe joined the Kala Art Institute in Berkeley where he worked as a part-time artist in residence from 2008-2012. In 2012, he moved back to Luxembourg where he recently became a member of the printstudio EMPREINTE in Luxembourg city.
Most of his current work consists of multi-plate etchings made from different etching techniques including photoetching, aquatint, spitbite and drypoint.
Selected shows and exhibits:
- 1996: Student exhibition of the Ecole d’art modern, Theatre d’Esch, Luxembourg
- 2001: Exhibition of monoprints in the context of the theater play “The Phaedra Project”, Esch/Alzette, Luxembourg
- 2002: Participation at the exhibition “Students at the SMFA (School Of The Museum Of Fine Arts)”, Boston MA
- 2003: Personal Exhibition of monoprints and collographs, B/C2 Gallery, Bettembourg, Luxembourg
- 2003: Finalist of the international art competition “XXIeme Biennale d’Esch”, Esch/Alzette, Luxembourg
- 2004: Participation at the exhibition “Students at the SMFA (School Of The Museum Of Fine Arts)”, Boston MA
- 2006: Finalist of the international art competition “XXIIeme Biennale d’Esch”, Esch/Alzette, Luxembourg
- 2009: Participation at the exhibition ‘Fresh Work’, KALA Art Institute, Berkeley CA
- 2009: Participation at the ICA annual monoprint marathon and fundraiser, San Jose CA
- 2010: Solo Show at the Luxembourg House, New York City NY
- 2011: Solo Show ar the Luxembourg Consulate in San Francisco, CA
- 2011: Group show at the Milk Gallery in Sacramento, CA
- 2011/2012: Solo Show at 'Nosbaum-Reding Gallery', Luxembourg city, Luxembourg
- 2012: Group Show with artists from the print studio EMPREINTE, Diekirch, Luxembourg